Cowpea Project Update

20120616-225857.jpg

It has been about three weeks now since I first reported on my cowpea project. At that time, my California Blackeyed 46 peas were three weeks old and standing about 12 inches tall. As you can see in the picture above, they now average about 20 inches. At the time of my previous post, I also had some Pinkeyed Purplehull peas a week younger than the Blackeyed variety. They were standing at about 7 inches then; now they are about 15 or 16 inches.

20120616-231010.jpg

I had also just spent much of my Memorial Day holiday planting three additional varieties to round out the cowpea project. I am happy to report that all three are doing quite well. The Mississippi Silver peas are the tallest of the three. At around 14 inches, they are almost as tall as the Pinkeyed Purplehull.

20120616-231501.jpg

Next in sequence are the Red Rippers, which you see below planted with a trellis, as they are said to produce vines and to do better with support. At 12 inches, they are a little smaller than the Mississippi Silver.

20120616-232146.jpg

The third and final variety from my Memorial Day planting are the SaDandy peas. At 10 inches, they are the smallest of the three varieties. So far, all the varieties are looking healthy. I thinned them to a single plant every couple or three inches about a week ago which is the final spacing for this type of plant.

20120616-232653.jpg

The last thing to report with this update is that this evening I planted another round of three of these varieties. I planted some more Blackeyed, some Pinkeyed Purplehull, and some Mississippi Silver. I stopped at that point because I’m basically out of space. The spaces I used for these were all in unused areas of my blueberry bed (a 3×6 raised bed).

I chose this space primarily because it was available, having previously been used for cool weather crops that succumbed to the Florida summer heat. I also reasoned that they will not get tall enough to shade the blueberry bushes, and they should help enrich the nitrogen content of the soil, something that the blueberries should appreciate. Here’s hoping that cowpeas do okay in acidic soil! Another risk factor is that I realized after planting them that, much to my chagrin, I am out of cayenne pepper, which I used as squirrel repellant. Assuming they tolerate the soil in this bed and assuming they escape the ravages of little, furry rodent feet, I should start to see this round of cowpeas pop up on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I’ll keep you posted on this project as the summer moves along.

Advertisements

One response to this post.

  1. As a post-script, I am happy to report that I was able to purchase and spread some cayenne pepper over the newly seeded areas this morning before any squirrels discovered the unguarded seeds!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: